Friday, July 29, 2011

Simple Times

Finished off a textile piece that I started a little while ago in a workshop (textile collage and foiling workshop) with Diane Groenewegen
The digitally printed portrait was the starting point and the collage was built from there. I've used braids, fabric swatches, tatting piece, antique buttons & lace and a section from a damaged vintage tablecloth. Very little machine stitching, I've mostly hand sewn this piece.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Honouring Time

One of this years resolutions was to become more confident with using the settings on my camera and take more indoor shots. I've started with taking photos of some of the pieces that were given to me by my Grandma over the years. This series of photos will be called 'Honoring Time' in memory of all the fun times we had together, she was age 98 when she passed away earlier this year on February 22nd.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

product play - ink aid

When I'm putting together my art quilts I often incorporate photos I've taken or images of scanned drawings into the layouts. I use a few different methods to transfer the images onto fabric and each method has it's positives and negatives and alters the handle of the fabric differently. I'm using an ink jet printer so the fabrics need to be prepared which enables them to firstly run through the printer and secondly hold the ink. For my current project I'm using a product called "Ink Aid(TM)-White Matt Precoat" to prepare the fabrics.
I particularly like using Ink Aid when I'm wanting to print onto colored fabric or do mono-printing over the top of the images once they have been printed. I've found that the handle of the fabric becomes stiffer but is still very easy to sew through. The instructions on the bottle are very clear and easy to follow. Following the instructions and doing a couple of sample pieces is always a good place to start and then play and explore from there.
The Lantern has been printed onto a patterned black (quilting weight) fabric with the second coat of Ink Aid(TM) not being applied evenly, I wanted some of the the fabric pattern to show through and the image not to be so clear/precise. The flowers down the side of the Lantern have been printed onto white homespun which had been prepared with 2 coats of the Ink Aid(TM). The Dandelion flower has been printed onto light blue cotton poplin which was prepared with two coats of Ink Aid(TM). All prepared pieces were then cut to A4 size and stabilized with freezer paper before running through the printer.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...