Sunday, February 5, 2012

going nutty

Currently working on a textile piece inspired by the Macadamia Nut Tree that's in our backyard. I had previously taken a few photos of the leaves and had them printed onto a length of fabric by Spoonflower. But I also wanted to do something with the nuts. I like the shape, layers and textures of the nuts, especially the interior of the fallen/forgotten nuts slowly decaying. Firstly I took photos and then created a couple of sketches. Through further adaptions and explorations of the sketches a symbol evolved which has been used to make up a stencil from freezer paper. Using 'Shiva Sticks' I stenciled the fabric (the same technique that I used when making up the fabric for my bag)  
As I work on the pieces I lay them into the basic layout, the layout alters several times throughout the process. Once I decide on the layout I then prepare it for stitching and quilting. 

1 comment:

  1. Like your new background - I just kept the same when mine disappeared last week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Join the Journey

Subscribe to Newsletter

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )